Somnath is an ancient temple town located in Gujarat. This place is visited by several religious travelers as this place possesses the first of the twelve Jyotirlingas. This place is famous for Somnath Temple of Lord Shiva. So, travel to Somnath to pay your homage to one of the ancient temple towns.
How To Reach Somnath?
- By Air: Somnath does not have an airport. The nearest airport to this place is Keshod,55 kms away. You can hire taxi from here to reach your destination which will cost around 2000 Rs. Other airports near to this place is Porbandar Airport (118 kms) and Rajkot Civil Airport (164 kms).
- By Rail: Veraval is the nearest rail head which is merely 7 km from Somnath. A special train “Somnath Express” runs from Ahmedabad to Veraval. Ahmedabad is the state capital of Gujarat and is well linked by rail not only to different places in the state of Gujarat but also to many of the prime cities in India. All you have to do is to take a train to Ahmedabad from any part of the country and then catch the corresponding train to Veraval. From Veraval, just get into a bus or else hire a car or auto to reach Somnath.
- By Bus: A good network of roads connects Somnath to the different important places in the state of Gujarat. The state capital Ahmedabad is 400 km away; Junagadh, Bhavnagar, and Porbandar are at a distance of 85, 266 and 122 km respectively but all of them are well linked to Somnath by roads and buses ply on these road routes.
Best Time To Visit Somnath
Due to the famous Somnath temple, the devotees visit here throughout the year. Weather wise, it is ideal to visit in the months between October to March. This time the temperature is cool and is ideal to visit temples and for sightseeing.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: You will not face any problems while searching for a place to stay in Somnath. There is no high-class hotel but the options here range from standard to budget hotels. You can opt for guest houses to stay which is a cheaper way.
- FOOD: There is not any high class and fancy restaurants in Somnath but many travelers use to eat at Prasadam Hotel run by Somnath Trust.
- ACTIVITIES: There is not much to do in Somnath as the activities include a stroll on the beach or you can attend the light and sound show organized.
Places To Visit In Somnath
- Somnath Temple
- Triveni Ghat
- Bhalka Tirth
Excursion Near Somnath
- Gir Forest Reserve – 45 kms
- Junagadh – 90 kms
- Dwarka – 95 kms
Images: Google Images