Munnar is a small town and hill station located in the Idukki district of Kerala, India. It is 1600 meter above the sea level. If you are looking for a stroll along tea bushes rows or enveloping calm of cool mist then Munnar is the place to visit for. Munnar is a hill station filled with stunning beauty, surrounded by spice and tea plantations and hidden in the middle of thick vegetation and lush rainforest.So here are places to visit in Munnar.
Places To Visit In Munnar
How To Reach Munnar?
By Air: The nearest airport to Munnar is Cochin International Airport which is 130 km away from the hill station. The airport is connected to major cities of India and some International cities. Buses are available outside the airport but these buses do not go to Munnar. You can sit on the bus and can catch another bus from the next bus stop.
By Rail: Munnar is not connected with the rail services. The nearest railway station to Munnar is Ernakulum. It is one of the main junction in South and receives trains from various parts of the country including Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai, Mangalore, and Thiruvananthapuram. From here you can hire a cab or board a state-run bus for two hours drive straight to Munnar.
By Road: The best way to get to the Munnar is through bus from Kochi. You will enjoy the bus ride between the tea bushes and natural beauty. Munnar is connected by road to many other cities including Kottayam (5 hrs), Madurai (6 hrs), Coimbatore (6 hrs) and Thiruvananthapuram (9 hrs).
Best Time To Visit Munnar
The summers are ideally cool here. However, the months of September and October are the best time to visit as the rain is ceased this time. Avoid the winter and rainy season as it rains heavily here.
- ACCOMMODATIONS: There is a wide range of places to stay in Munnar that are tucked away in the picturesque landscape. You can hire a cozy room with a fireplace and comfortable bed. There are a large number of mid-range hotels available such as Siena Village, Residency Hotel and Sterling Resorts.
- FOOD: In the local market, food stalls are set up in day and night. The street food here is quite delicious. The restaurants here serve a variety of food including South-Indian cousin and Chicken biryani.
- ACTIVITIES: In Munnar, there is a lot you can do in terms of outdoor activities. You can do trekking up the hills and walk about the vast tea estates. Some resorts offer various sports like paragliding, rock climbing, tandem jumping etc.
Places To Visit In Munnar
- Cheeyappara Falls
- Munnar Tea Gardens
- Eravikulam National Park
- Christ Church
- Tata Tea Museum
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary
Excursions Near Munnar
- Marayoor – 40 km
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary – 60 km
Images: Google Images