My 27th Birthday was a memorable one, as I was traveling at that moment. I shared my solo Bday experience on Facebook and it was a great feeling to find so many admirers and supporters blessing good wishes. I celebrated my 27th birthday by gifting presents to myself.
I used to celebrate my birthday with cake cutting, gifts and parties. It’s a ritual I’ve done ever since I can remember. But, this time I celebrated my birthday with myself.
It wasn’t a melancholy moment — in fact, it was a tiny gift in itself. I got to spend a few peaceful moments with myself, surrounded by little reminders of love from my family and friends. That solitude and positivity is a gift I wish I presented myself more often.
Gifts and flowers are wonderful, but there are just some presents that are invaluable, whether it’s your birthday or just another day.
Here are 18 gifts I gifted myself. You must try it on your birthday.
1. Rest: You can do anything but not everything. Burning out just to prove yourself is no way to live. Try to allow yourself the moments of meditation or even just a lazy day. You will experience your work and your life will be much better in the long run, I promise.
2. Love: Allow yourself to love and to be loved. We’re built for affection, sometimes blessed with shower of love and at times tumbled into hardship. Vulnerability is challenging, but isn’t the reward worth it? So, keep loving as I always say.
3. Uncertainty: The only guarantee in life is that there are no guarantees. The sooner you give yourself permission to befriend the unknown, you’ll start to realise just how brave you really are. If your friends forgot to wish you “Happy Bday”, just let it go. Don’t misjudge them as they love you.
4. A meaningful career: You spend the majority of your waking hours during the week at your job. That’s a lot of misery if your creative, emotional and intellectual needs aren’t being met. You’re too talented to be putting your assets toward something that isn’t fulfilling your passions. So I started travelling. Choose a career for yourself, whatever pleases you the most. Make your hobby your profession and you will be the luckiest person on the planet.
5. Be a Healer: I believe everyone can benefit from talking to someone, whether you’re struggling with anxiety or just have work stress. Give yourself the opportunity to open up to someone, either a mental health professional, a life coach or just a trusted confidant. They may have more insight than you think.
6. Confidence: Not just the “fake-it-until-you-make-it” kind, the real deal. Give yourself the gift of security of knowing, who you really are? Being a genuine person leads to fulfillment of desired goals.
7. Good health: This goes for your body and your mind. Find a fitness routine that you love. I choose yoga.
8. A positive attitude: There’s power in looking on the bright side, no matter what circumstances you face in life.
9. Kindness: Express compassion, especially toward yourself. Research shows there are so many benefits, whether it’s accepting ourselves or extending niceties to other people. Kindness is the gift that keeps on giving because it makes the world a better place.
10. A digital detox: Social media is exhausting sometimes and we’re constantly comparing our lives to those in our Instagram feeds. Give yourself a tiny break. You may be disconnected from your screen, but you’d be amazed at how connected you really feel.
11. A chance: Give yourself the gift of following your dreams, your heart and your mind. Give your desires the merit they deserve and go after them wholeheartedly and unbiasedly. Who cares what other people think?
12. Faith:Whether it’s in God, spirituality or just yourself. Give yourself the knowledge that bad moments aren’t forever and things always have a way of working out.
13. Good friends: Life’s too short to spend it with people who bring negative energy into your life. Do yourself a favour by filling your life with relationships that lift you higher and inspire you to be the best version of yourself.
14. A solo dance session: Dance with your loneliness, as you get freedom to enjoy the kid hidden inside you. It’s amazing to dance solo on your favorite beats.
15. Gratitude : Be thankful for everything, the little moments, the big events and even the opportunities that didn’t work out. It’s good for your health and it gives you the perspective you need when life is giving you a swift kick in the behind.
16. Sleep: You know that pure satisfaction you feel every time you hit the snooze button? Imagine that same joy, but for a few extra hours each night. I gifted 14 hours sleep to myself.
17. Silence: Our daily schedule keeps us stressed and occupied with tension. So, take a break. Sit in a peaceful ambience, think about yourself. It’s your Birthday and you are growing old. People want to party, but you just ended up with one more year. So, enjoy silence and plan for your future.
18. A cupcake: Because you deserve it, whether it’s your birthday or not.